Saturday, June 18, 2011

Pasta with Alfredo Sauce


Yeah, Alfredo Sauce is meant to be made with cheese and cream. My thoughts after jump!


Yet again, another pasta dish! Here are the first and second attempts at pasta (and I think I have one more left to post.) I love myself some creamy Alfredo Sauce, and I thought 'why not?' After all, if the previous imitation meat posts herehere, and here were pretty good, how far off could a sauce be?

Well, first off, I don't understand how soft silken tofu is considered a 'cheese substitute' at all. I mean, it doesn't melt or even look remotely similar to cheese (unless if it's cottage, then maybe.) Also, I wasn't willing to purchase tahini mainly because it was expensive, so I used peanut butter and sesame oil as the replacement (I read it on a forum, don't ask).

So I blend all of the ingredients together, which also contains miso, cayenne, and nutmeg, not judging exactly what part takes place of cheese at all. In the end, it was all lumpy, NOTHING like Alfredo Sauce at all. When I took my first bite, I thought it was decent at the best, but nothing special. In the end, it started to taste more like peanut butter... Not the best combination with pasta if you ask me!

This recipe comes from "Student's Go Vegan Cookbook," and although I admire that they think of cheap purchases for ingredients, I think a little tweaking should be made so that it had a better flavour, even if it means to spend just a little more. So far, this was the WORST pasta recipe I made during vegan month.

Rating: 1½ out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment