Sunday, June 19, 2011

Miso Risotto & Braised Yams


Out of wanting to use left-overs, and other ingredients neglected in the kitchen. Read on!

The main reason for this dish was to get rid of many ingredients in the kitchen... unfortunately, they are still residents in the kitchen. One ingredient I had a lot of was miso, since I use only a table spoon for this recipe. So I thought, 'what am I going to do with the rest?'

After some research and browsing through endless results, I found one recipe that seemed simple: risotto! This particular recipe that I saw had one different aspect from the others: sticky rice. I am not sure where I can find the rice used in risotto, and wasn't willing to search for it (it was about 6PM, an hour before dinner time!) Luckily, grandma always has what I'm looking for (cheers to that!) Gathered all of the ingredients, and then began creating dinner...

The recipe can be found here, and it's pretty interesting. Instead of cooking the rice with water, it calls for  sake (I had cooking sake, but anyone would be fine), and then you add dissolved miso until the rice absorbs. Pretty simple, and the directions itself made me happy.

As for the yams, I was pleasantly surprised with the results. I have no idea how this chef thought of the ingredients, but all combined, it tastes exactly like teriyaki sauce! Yum! But instead of honey, I used agave nectar, which looks similar to honey, but tastes less sweet. Boil all of the ingredients, and add the potatoes.

The dish is done, and ready to be served, so when it came to taste, I didn't know what to expect: the risotto was soft and chewy, though the directions mentioned that the rice should have a "bit of a crunch" in the centre; perhaps I overcooked -_-" It was a bit salty, but then again I think it's the miso I used... As for the potatoes, they were too chewy, but delicious cause of the sauce! Seriously, there should just be a vegan sauce book, and everything can be build around from there.

Not bad of a recipe, but I think there is a need in adjusting something, can't put my finger on it though. Otherwise, pretty tasty!

Rating: 3 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment