Saturday, June 18, 2011

Fried Seitan Nuggets


Nuggets! Yummy! Continue reading for this adventure & another picture!


During halfway into the month, I decided to try another cookbook, and I am so glad that I did. Although I didn't have the time to make as much as I'd like to from this book, the recipe I tried did not disappoint at all.

The book is called "The Natural Vegan Kitchen" by Christine Waltermyer, and the recipes I read were pretty simple, but a few of the ingredients cannot be found in local grocery stores. For example, Seitan - does anyone know what this is? It's like tofu that is made of wheat. If I did my research, I would have known that it is available in Asian supermarkets?! Apparently, it is used to make imitation meat, so it must be good (imitation meat has the exact same texture, but not the taste of course!)

Moving on, the recipe seemed like a typical preparation when breading meat, except this uses rice cereal as coating! Yummy c": Sure it's a bit time consuming, but it's worth it!

After the deep frying, and all of the love and care, they look like chicken nuggets! And the taste, oh my! So good, I'd make it if seitan wasn't so expensive! I think I know why it's called seitan, cause it makes you think if you're feeling sinful! I have no idea how they make wheat similar to meat, but here's a look inside:



See, almost like chicken! I also made the dipping sauce, but it was made a apple butter, and it's suppose to resemble barbecue sauce? For a moment, it smelled like barbecue and after a taste - bleh, I'd rather stick to honey (sorry!). Crispy and chewy, a combination I like!

If I only had more time to make more from this book, I would have made the following:

- Enchilada Casserole (possible without cheese?)
- Sweet Potato Casserole (mmm, sweet potato)

Until another time, I have these tasty nuggets to remember!

Rating: 5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment