Saturday, June 18, 2011

Tex-Mex Tempeh Tacos


The only thing traditional of this recipe was the colour... Read on!

During my vegan month challenge, I thought to myself, "I'm missing something in my life, something that can fulfill my life... MEXICAN FOOD!" The only thing that's holding me back from being a full vegan would have to be burritos and tacos (I just love them, from the texture to its mouthful of excitement in each bite!)

So I decided that "Student's Go Vegan Cookbook" rendition of tacos sounded promising, as it introduced me to a new ingredient called tempeh. Basically, it's fermented bread, only air tight packed with more health. I'm pretty sure it's full of beneficial nutrients and other stuff like that, but I'll get back onto it...

Making this dish, the colour looked pretty decent, and it almost resembled the look of tacos, so I had pretty high expectations. The aroma was nice, and I was getting hungry. Here is a picture of me taking my first bite:




As excited I looked, that's how far it got. The tempeh (or substitute meat) tasted gross! There was this raisin texture to it, and it felt like rubber on the tongue. Needless to say, the next 3 times I had to eat it, I felt sicker every moment.

Well, if you ever decide to go vegan, and want to eat Mexican food, USE BEANS - they're cheaper, and easier to find than tempeh (the particular brand I used was gross at least!)

Rating: 1 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment