Monday, May 30, 2011

Buffalo Penne Pasta

One of the VERY few 'original' recipes I've made during this month. Click more to read about this dish!

When I come home from work, it's about 9PM, and by the time I've actually made myself dinner, it's already 10. Without hesitation, I grabbed a bag imitation meat, cooked it, cut it up, added penne to it, and used the sauce that came with it. Meal time!

When it comes to imitation meat, I must say it is very interesting since it looks similar to meat and even has the same texture. The taste of course is not close to the real thing, but nonetheless quite impressive.

The brand I used was Gardein, which is a combination of the words "Garden" and "Protein" (pretty clever if you ask me). The very red pieces are the 'meat,' which comes in the form of a chicken wing, meaning I used 'classic buffalo wings' for this recipe. I am not sure exactly how many brand make imitation meat, but I'm pretty sure not a lot, as the product costs close to $6, which is quite a lot for something that isn't meat...

Back to the recipe: The 'chicken' cooks like the real thing, making me wait for dinner! I had to try it alone with the sauce, and woo-wee, it's spicy! I don't know what was in that sauce, but it made me almost want to grab for dairy milk (because it gets rid of the spice, but I couldn't do that!) Pretty chewy, yet odd since there were no bones (thankfully) or else that would have been strange... Mixing the 'meat' with the pasta and buffalo sauce, it looks good, and I was sweating per bite.

I'm not sure what to make of this recipe, I mean it's pretty simple, just cook the gardein according to direction, boil pasta, and pour sauce over the two once mixed. Since I am a fan of spice, I would probably make this again, but only if I had a salad or some nice whole wheat bread to cure my burning tongue.

Rating: 4 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment