Sunday, May 29, 2011

Palak Soyabina Panira


Yes, this wasn't one of the best dishes, but it was edible at least d": My thoughts after the jump.

According to the book "Eat, Drink & Be Vegan" by Dreena Burton, this is a vegan version of the dish "Palak Paneer," which is made with spinach, cheese, and spices. The translation of the the recipe is "cheese of soybean," and it doesn't make any sense to me.

First of all, cheese CAN NOT be substituted, no matter how hard one tries. During this month, I have been searching for a cheese substitute, and there are a few surprisingly in which some do actually smell like cheese, but nowhere similar to cheese. If you do go vegan, please do not use imitation cheese, it's not the same...

Anyways, the main ingredient for this recipe is tofu (like my first recipe), a bunch of spices such as coriander, allspice, ground cloves, and so on. The only ingredient I had a hard time finding was agave nectar, which is a rip off at local grocery stores (such a small package!) I somehow found it in the strangest place: WINNERS. Who knew they did vegan imports (there is quite a variety of ingredients, so weird but cool).

When it came to blend the spinach, I started to wonder if this was going to be tasty since the tofu itself looked delicious. The spinach mix came out to be very pasty, and didn't really help with the overall taste, feeling a bit rough in my mouth, making it smooth with the help of rice.

This dish took some time to make, and it wasn't well executed. Perhaps I messed up a step, but I wouldn't make this again.

Rating: 2 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment