Friday, June 7, 2013

Things I Don't Get: It's Trending

Tattoos are pieces of art... But what does it mean when they are just numbers, or in this case, letters? This is not an attack on the people with such tattoos, I am intrigued by the idea.

Translation: 25, 06, 1989 (25, June 1989?)
Recently, I have been seeing a lot of people with tattoos - specifically, with Roman Numerals. Usually, they are a symbol of one's birth date, others with no sense whatsoever. It can be their own birth date, or of someone with great significance to them.

While I do love the idea, I have to wonder: why get that? There are other ways to remember someone. I'm guessing this is the highest form of gratitude, by showing what is always worn on their skin. And what's wrong with letters? Are Roman Numerals an international language everyone understands? Or is it a secret that makes one inked person more interesting? Not sure, I shouldn't get into the topic in depth (otherwise I will begin to ramble into nonsense).

Curious to know what it stands for?

I'm trying to figure out how a person gets to this decision, because getting a tattoo is a big deal. Such a big process of getting a birthdate/favourite number/whatever significance it has for a person, and then picking whether it should be in numbers, or Roman Numerals. How does one even think of getting it set in a style, is what I wonder. Looking at celebrities, you see a bunch of tattoos on them and the one that stands out the most are the ones in Roman Numerals. It gets me frustrated when I want to know what it's all about. It's almost they want to share a story, but only hint at it.

Not her birthdate, but someone else's

What does this all mean? Does it make you curious about the significance of one's tattoo? Not just Roman Numeral ones, but images and such? And does it seem as though there are trends with tattoos? For the longest time, I remember when everyone wanted a Chinese Character tattoo (that must be because English words are too long, and way too ugly?) Hey, I even have temporary tattoos of Chinese Characters that I use to go crazy about whenever the faithful Fair came every year.

Truth right here

Who knows what it all stands for. I'm probably at the point where I would like to get a tattoo, but not sure exactly what I want, where to place it, and whether it stands for something. I mean, do people get tattoos because they enjoy the pain? That is less likely the reason, but it requires a lot of depth to it in my opinion. And who knows, maybe I will follow the crowd and get me a Roman Numeral tattoo of my favourite number... It would be "III," and that couldn't be mistaken for anything else, right? In good time, I will figure it out. For now, just admire the art that people dedicate on their skin.

1 9 7 5... Maybe better in number format?

No comments:

Post a Comment