Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Product Reviews: Uncle Tetsu

When you need to take a bite into what everyone's dishing on - or, if you have a lot of time. After passing by this shop countless times, I decided to get in line and see what the fuss is all about. Was this cheesecake worth waiting?

IMG_9157
Time to see if it was worth the hype

Japan is slowly taking over Canada. With the rise of new shoppes entering the Vancouver area (Muji, Uniqlo, Miniso [partially]), there was bound to be the introduction of Japanese food products. In comes Uncle Tetsu, a cheesecake shop from Fukuoka, Japan.

The store first opened in 1990, and has continually expanded into Canadian grounds. 2018 marked the first Vancouver location, which sits inside Metropolis of Metrotown. Upon the opening, the line-up was estimated to be two-three hours - that must be some good cheesecake.

An opportunity came when I was waiting to meet up with some friends. Since my friends take a long time, I wanted to see whether I would get a cheesecake, or ditch the line-up - you'll see how long I waited to get one.

Line-up seemed shorter, but keep in mind I got in line about 7:30PM, and the mall closes at 9PM for reference. There were roughly about 20 people before me, so I had a good chance at getting this wanted good. So what did I do to pass the time? Play phone games - I'm obsessed with Tsum Tsum, a Disney puzzle game with all of your favourite characters...

When I finally got to the window, I got to experience cheesecake-making process. Majority of the wait time is due to the baking time - each cheesecake is fresh upon order. The oven is quite a spectacle though:

IMG_9158
The red baron

IMG_9159
Branded

Although I did not catch the baking time, it felt like it was rather short - maybe I was distracted by the kitchen's beauty. Each pan consists of three cheesecakes, placed in a water bath to create that soft and pillowy product. What starts off white ends up with a beautiful brown topping:

IMG_9161
In the oven it goes...

IMG_9162
...to create a beautiful end point.

My favourite part of the process had to be the branding - a simple step, but very satisfying. Lightly pressing Uncle Tetsu's face on the top, yet soon to be devoured by many.

IMG_9163
No sound effects involved

IMG_9165
Look at those beauties

IMG_9167
Hello there Uncle Tetsu!

IMG_9166
How very welcoming

Looking at the people in front of me, there were people who were buying multiple cheesecakes - a smart tactic, if I do say so. As the purchase does restrict one cake per customer, people bring their children along so that every one in their party gets their own cake. When I finally reached the front of the line, the cashier did not seem happy one bit. Perhaps the job is exhausting, especially with the demand, but can't they just bare with the last hour before it's all over? Without a smile, I got my cake, as well as a few Madeleines for fun.

IMG_9168
All packed and ready to serve

IMG_9169
The overall wait time

Honestly, I thought that the wait time would have been longer - maybe the trick is to go around closing time. Again, most of the waiting would be for the baking time, and everyone deserves a freshly baked good!

IMG_9170
Look at this beauty

And in case you were wondering, my friends were about to head out after I took the photo of the bag - talk about good timing. I did not have a chance to taste the cake that night (due to an overdose of rum, and having to pick up my car the next morning). If I waited for almost 40 minutes for a cheesecake, what's a few more hours going to hurt?

When it comes to trying food, I am the worst at taking photos. For me, I just want to get my hands all over the cheesecake without second thought. So here are the remaining photos for this review:

IMG_9198
An aerial view of the (partially opened) box

Upon opening, the cheesecake looked delectable, and very fluffy. The knife went in smoothly, and was easy to serve. As for the taste? Very minimal, but enjoyable. More of a sponge cake, the subtle cheese falvour is enjoyable for the most sensitive taste buds. I personally enjoyed the cheesecake, and might wait in line again to take another bite - but not for some time.

For the time that I waited, I would say that the cheesecake is worth the hype. For those that waited two-three hours, don't bother. But if you're dying to try that Japanese cheesecake, by all means wait with someone who can waste time with you.

IMG_9199
The remains

I do look forward for Japan to take over Canada with their products, but this one is selective. If you got friends that are into cheesecake, go for it. But remember, baked cheesecake is not everyone's choice - there is the cold variety that some people prefer.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment