Friday, August 25, 2017

Things I Don't Get: This Is Real. This Is Me.

Seems these days that people want to be their true self - but sometimes, it seems to come off  like they want attention. Perhaps I blur the two ideas, based on my personal experiences. So in a world full of posts and overall image, what becomes the breaking point that people want to start again?

Wonder what made the girl get to this point...

Taylor Swift. She just released her first single, which begins the next era called 'Reputation.' I admit that I do like the song (very much, I may add). Ever since the song played on the radio, I've been listening to it nonstop. What ever Miss Swift has up her sleeves, I cannot wait to expect the unexpected.

To promote the album, she deleted all of the content on her social media platforms, which gained a lot of attention. This method has worked on other artists such as The Weeknd and Frank Ocean, who have also furthered their career with their respective eras. While it's a bold move, I begin to wonder what it means, if it means anything at all.

People need to grow, and it's great to see them transitioning into a better person. But I get confused when there is 'a necessity' to share with others the process. How does one know they are growing for all the right reasons? Are people afraid to move on, and they go the extreme?

Perhaps I am being touchy with the subject, but the term 'authenticity' gets thrown all over the place, that I begin to eye roll when even the thought comes up. Especially with Instagram, there are accounts that want to begin again, and explain what is happening to them. There is a sense of pressure that high profile accounts have to release content that represents their image. But what I don't get is this concept of starting over.

In the song, there is a part where Swift states that the 'old Taylor' is dead. While I was getting "Black Swan" vibes, I began to wonder whether people truly hate their old self that they want to 'kill' that image. Personally, I don't see the significance of deleting everything that was the past - at some part, that was still the same person.

Growing up, I have been told by others to be yourself, but within the restrictions of society. While that concept can be difficult, it is also helpful - at least on a professional point of view. As a gay man, there have been many phases I have gone through, some more radical than others. But I still appreciate each phase, as they have contributed to the person that I am today... Does that mean I have difficulties of letting go?

At this moment, I am happy with myself. I may be challenged with finding a job, but I have learned to balance my life, both professionally and personally. My Instagram account is filled with photos of the past, and I enjoy the transition from heavy filters to simplistic shots. I don't think I would completely delete the contents on my account, just an update if anything. Whether I forget a phase, I hope they were dark ones that I have moved on.

Everyone copes with situations differently, but it's interesting to see what people do in order to become better people. It's about taking a step back to view who you are as a person, and seeing how far you have come from where you began. I still love Taylor Swift, from "Taylor Swift" to now "Reputation." Maybe she doesn't want to remember her old self, but I will. After all, you can only be yourself (both old and new versions).

No comments:

Post a Comment