Monday, March 5, 2018

Things I Don't Get: Girl On Girl Action

Today's world is ever-changing, and it's incredible how far society has come. However, one thing still remains: the so-called 'cat fight.' A term to reference women feuding each other, it seems that this realm of gossip has no plan of going away. So I ask to myself, why?


Use to be one of my favourite songs... I don't know why anymore

When I was younger, I never understood why women would say it's hard being a woman. I mean, there are more career opportunities for women to become successful, and they have endless varieties of clothing compared to men.. What I didn't realize was the criticism that comes after these thoughts.

Whether a woman wants to be a lawyer or barely wear any clothing, there will always be someone who wants to put out their opinion. Women have to experience backlash and insults while having to go through each day - men truly have it easy. And yet, women still have to explain themselves that it's their life, and they can do as they wish; you'd think that would be the end of conversation.

Low and behold, girl fights follow through, creating this conflict that the media loves to consume. And this is the thing I don't get: why do girl fights still attract so much attention? In the entertainment industry, girl fights garner attention, regardless if it's good or bad. So let's look at a few examples in recent years:

In 2015, Taylor Swift got into a mini-feud with Nicki Minaj regarding the nominations at the MTV VMAs that same year. Taylor took Nicki's tweet as a jab at her, which created a conflict between both artists. However, the misunderstanding didn't result into a big argument - both artists moved on. The best part of the story? The fact that they performed together at the VMAs:
Although this feud had a happy ending, there also comes an unsettling result of this story. Bruno Mars caught attention into this feud, and wanted to partake in the events. So Mars decides to 'pick' a fight with Ed Sheeran (read about it here). While it may have been funny at the time, it makes me wonder, how are we okay about this? In hindsight, this issue was no big deal, but it also shows how we also make fun of something that was serious for both women. I am certain that Bruno Mars respects both artists, and that the idea was meant to be a joke... Perhaps this is the power of celebrities, emotions don't get in the way.

Continuing with VMA talk, Fifth Harmony performed as a quartet after Camila Cabello abruptly left the group in 2016. For the 2017, the remaining members added a 'memory' of Cabello into their 2017 performance (the first few seconds):


Shocking, the least to say - but they all fell down with her in the end (is that symbolic?) I didn't really follow the news with the feud between Fifth Harmony and Camila, but it comes off harsh. People want to pursue their solo careers, and that was their intentions at the beginning. Yes, it was sad to see a member leave a group at the top of their career, but shouldn't we be happy for each other that both acts are successful? As young women, there is this pressure to balance success while having to create this 'fight.' I am glad that both acts have diverted answering questions about the depart, and I do hope to see a change of having this need to blend fights with their careers.

Moving into 2018, Kim Kardashian released a series of perfumes, alongside a list of names she'll be sending her product. Here is the list:

Sweet, or insulting?

I honestly thought this was a good move on Kardashian, for moving on... Oh how I wish that's how it was played out. Everyone on social media (detailed article here) focused on the blue section, which is a list of her enemies. All of these women (with the exception of Piers Morgan and Taylor Swift) have been picking on Kim for her choices in life. She posted a photo of herself naked, and did not settle well with these women who are evoke for change.

Don't get me wrong, change is important, it's incredible what women have done these past few years. But can't we let Kardashian do whatever she wants? Yes, she has children, and yes, she can make better decisions, but maybe there is a division between Kim, the Marketing Mogul, and Kim, the mother. I could imagine how hard it is to be Kim Kardashian. Whether you love her or hate her, she's not sitting around and doing nothing - she's busy making an empire, just like the rest of these women. And can't we all agree that we want women to be successful?

But I also think that's the problem: success comes from the result of a fight. The perfume line that Kim Kardashian released has since been sold out - was it the result of that list? I think so. This topic comes off more complicated than I thought. So is it possible for a woman to be successful without the fighting between other women?

This also happens in music, and it's been proven. The first song from Brooke Valentine use to be my favourite song. But listening to that song a few years later, I begin to question myself. I am not ashamed that I once enjoyed this song, but it shows that attention comes from the concept of girl fights. 

And Brook isn't the only one who has sung about disputes. The best example of a girl fights goes to 1998, where Brandy & Monica released their single "The Boy Is Mine." A song fighting about a boy - a boy. Maybe the times were simpler back in the late 90s, but you can't deny how good is this song. Take a stroll down memory lane, if you will:



I admit, I love this song, it's one of my favourites. But the problem is, it seems that girl fights equal success. Both artists had wonderful careers, but this is the song that people remember. There were even rumours that the song was based off of true events, which both artists denied. But apparently, there were speculations of a fight back in 2017 (read about it here). So I don't know why fights lead to so much attention?

Are we into conflict when women don't see eye to eye? Women basically have to fight for themselves, and there will still be women who want to bring them down. It's inevitable that not everyone will get along - but can't they agree to disagree? Maybe I am missing something that I don't understand. If a woman wishes to show off her body or express her opinions, that is fine. But is it necessary to invoke such conflict?

I got interested in the subject when a fitness entrepreneur, Maria Kang, released a photo with the the caption "What's Your Excuse?" Initially, I thought that a mother doesn't need an excuse, and they choose whether they want to stay fit - I didn't see Kang's perspective. But the comments left on that photo were much worse than my own. This is just one of many examples where a woman has to explain herself, when Maria's initial goal was to motivate others. Kang released another photo to make a comparison, and she looks much the same, this time with the caption "What's Your Reason?" I do like the fact that she took the negative and made it positive. Here are the photos:

Regardless of your thoughts, they are motivation

There are bigger goals than getting into an argument. Last night was the 90th Academy Awards, and I witnessed all of these powerful women standing together and making a change. From first-time female nominees to the Time's Up movement, the focus should be on change for women. Frances McDormand delivered an incredible speech for women, who should continue to work and become recognized in the industry. While I may not understand 'Inclusion Rider,' she definitely got the conversation going.


I do believe that there will be a time where women will not be paid attention for their fights, but their recognition. Fights will happen, it inspires a lot of good content in media - just don't let it be the main focus. Women have made so many changes throughout the years, and I hope that those change comes soon. The progress is outstanding, and I look forward to the upcoming years to see where they head.

Woman should be able to do as she please. The decisions a woman makes is not either a step backward or forward for others - she's embracing herself. And if other women can accept each other, and move forward together, then girl fights will be a less paid attention form of news. Just wait and see who run the world: girls.

No comments:

Post a Comment